Windmill Watercolours exhibition
Liverpool Central Library
From 14 October
Hosted in the Hornby library at Liverpool Central Library the Windmill Watercolours exhibition that looks at the history of windmills in and around St George’s Quarter.
From as early as 1257 Liverpool is known to have had mills, owned by feudal landlords such as the Stanley, Molyneux, Mores and Cross families. They charged the local population for the mill grinding their grain into flour for bread making and some were used for pumping water from wells and may have been associated with the pottery industry that exited in the area from the early 1700’s.
There are known to have been mills on Shaws Brow (now William Brown Street), Dale Street, by the North Shore, Everton, West Derby, London Road, Wavertree, Eastham, Ackers Mill among many others. Kilns existed in Shaws Brow and a windmill was located just behind the Walker Art Gallery in Mill Lane It was said in 1869 that Liverpool had begun to assume the aspect of the mill-dotted provinces of the Netherlands. It had been hoped that Liverpool would become a major exporter of home ground flour, but there does not appear to be any evidence that this ever happened.
Serendipitously there are now modern parallels with the Burbo Bank wind turbines in the Mersey Estuary reflecting the blades of former windmills that impacted so much on the local Liverpool landscape.
Please note: Due to Covid 19 restrictions all adults are required to wear a face covering within the the library unless exempt.